"You Eat Like a Bird" Bird-seed Bars
You eat like a bird ... But if it tastes like these, I'm cool with that. Filled with literally every seed imaginable (hemp, flax, sunflower, pumpkin) for plenty of fiber & antioxidants, as well as protein-packed walnuts, @purelyelizabeth gluten-free ancient grain oats & lightly sweetened with maple & brown rice syrup you'll want to eat like a bird too. Recipe inspired by @goop (lol).
PS. Don't be me- wait for these to fully cool before cutting. Working on impulse control for 2018.
1 cup walnut halves and pieces
1 ½ cup gluten free oats (divided into 1 cup & 1/2 cup for later)
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
¼ cup flax seeds
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
½ cup roasted sunflower seeds
¼ cup hemp seeds
½ teaspoon cardamom
3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
½ teaspoon coarse sea salt, such as maldon
¼ cup brown rice syrup
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the walnuts, 1 cup of the oats, & the coconut flakes in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely ground.
3. Remove to a bowl & stir in the remaining ½ cup oats & all the other ingredients. Mix everything together.
4. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper & lightly grease with coconut oil or cooking spray.
5. Transfer the mixture into pan & press it down with a spatula evenly.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden; LET COOL COMPLETELY before cutting into 16 bars (or face crumb confetti EVERYWHERE).
7. Enjoy alone, or top with almond butter, coconut butter - or even drizzle a little chocolate (make sure it's dark!)
219 g carbs for total 8x8 pan (divided by 16 squares) = 13.7 g/ square **Note, these calculations are based on my ingredients and can vary depending on what you use!