The cleaner the brownies, the messier the kitchen?
The cleaner the brownies, the messier the kitchen? Because these are some mean, super clean grain-free chocolate tahini brownies. Now, I've tried literally every recipe in the books for "healthy" brownies. Sweet potatoes (too mushy), beets (too fussy) & even black beans (traumatizing), all of which were tastebud duds. So, I was skeptical making this batch. However, these are UNREAL. The tahini adds a subtle nuttiness that really enhances the cocoa. Made with coconut flour & sweetened with coconut sugar, these have only ~18g net carbs.
Pro-tip: Coconut flour is any diabaker's BFF. It's an incredible alternative to wheats or grains, as it is high in protein & fiber, while remaining low in digestible carbohydrates. Just to compare, wheat flour contains ~95g net carbs/cup vs. coconut flour's 6g net carbs per 1/4 cup (1/4 cup of coconut flour is equivalent to 1 cup of other flours because it's super absorbent) which makes for happy shugs (& a happy FRIYAY!)
- 1 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- For the chocolate drizzle
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray (or line with parchment paper).
- In a large bowl, combine the tahini, coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract and eggs until well-combined. Gently fold in your cocoa powder, coconut flour, salt and baking soda until batter is smooth. Add in 1/3 cup chocolate chips (or some more....) into the batter. The batter will be fairly thick, which is fine.
- Spread batter evenly in baking pan. Bake for 22-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Try not to overbake!
- After brownies have cooled, make the chocolate drizzle: Place a small saucepan over low heat, add chocolate chips and coconut oil and stir frequently until melted and smooth. Generously drizzle over the brownies.
Nutrition: Approximately 18 g carbs per serving. Makes 16 brownies.