Chili con ... quinoa?
The only thing that makes me feel *almost* OK that winter is coming is a delicious, warming bowl of chili. This is relatively easy to make, thanks to the magic of a slow cooker. My chili is made with turkey, quinoa and black beans for lean sources of protein. I also added sweet potatoes because they're chock full of nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, and fiber. Everything can be prepped the night before, and I promise leftovers for days to come. It's so good you won't get sick of it.
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (organic preferred)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili power
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (~ 1 pound)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (make sure it's rinsed!)
- 1, 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1, 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 – 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock (if it's too thick for your taste, add another cup of broth at the end)
- Toppings: avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) ... get creative!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the turkey, onions, peppers, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook and stir, breaking up the turkey as you go, until the turkey is no longer pink (~5-7 minutes). Stir in the chili powder, chipotle chili powder, and cumin, then transfer to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the chopped sweet potatoes, quinoa, chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, and black beans. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours, until the sweet potatoes are tender and everything smells scrumptious. At this point, stir in additional chicken stock if the chili is too thick for your taste.
- Time for toppings!
Estimated nutritional count (per 1 cup serving- but let's be honest, I can't stop at one)
Calories: 450 ; Fat: 10 g Carbohydrates: 50 g; Fiber: 7 g (Net carbs: 43 g/ cup) Sugar: 5 g; Protein: 28 g