Hi, I'm Heather

I'll keep you updated on the latest in type 1 diabetes management... mostly through my own trials and errors :)

That one time @Sugarfish...

That one time @Sugarfish...

✨Fun fact FRIYAY: I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at a sushi restaurant called Sugarfish. The irony still kills me. For awhile my love for sushi was tainted, & I swore we were never, ever getting back together. That lasted about 2 weeks. Now that wasabae & I are back on🔥, here are my #protips for handling sushi with #T1D (brb while I figure out how to hold chopsticks properly)

1. My go-to appetizers are steamed edamame (I opt for no salt, honestly because I hate the morning-after puffy eyes) or a light miso soup, both of which have ~8g carbs per cup. Skip the dumplings or other carb-heavy apps. 


2. No more mr. rice guy: I aim to eat 80% of my meal sashimi style (just the fish) & make the other 20% rolls. I'll even ask for my rolls to be wrapped in cucumber instead of rice if I'm feeling extra ambitious. Other times, I'll request brown rice for a healthier carb substitute. Avoid standard white sushi rice which is often seasoned with sugar🙀.

3. Skip the tempura. Not even those little crunchy things no one knows the name of. It only adds extra carbs with zero nutritional value. Also, the high fat content in the oil leads to delayed BG spikes & complicates insulin dosing. 


4. Choose rolls with fresh vegetables & fish. I also ask for any spicy mayo, mystery sauces etc on the side to control how much I'm having. 


5. Bolus 15-30 min in advance. Like actually. Of course this depends on your insulin & applies mainly for for humalog & novolog (superman fiasp, you're just too fast). Even brown rice spikes my blood shugs quickly, so I find giving insulin before the food arrives helps prevent mealtime spikes. Always have fast acting carbs with you in case there's a problem in the kitchen. 


6. I count ~35-40g per roll (assuming brown rice, no tempura, ~6 pieces per roll). This equates to ~6-8g carbs per piece. I rarely eat more than 6 pieces, because the little differences in carb content can start to add up to big changes in insulin needs. I put those pieces on my plate at once, so I don't lose track. If I'm still hungry after 6 pieces (ha, I always am), I'll choose to fill up on more sashimi.


7. T1D is lots of trial & error. Just roll with it 😉

Home-Alone Hypos: A Real Life Nightmare

Home-Alone Hypos: A Real Life Nightmare

An apple a day...

An apple a day...